The trucking industry has never been known for its “greenness”. Efficiency and performance, definitely, but when it comes to emissions and fuel efficiency, this particular industry doesn’t typically come to mind… until now! Toyota has officially unveiled a new Toyota concept truck – a hydrogen fuel cell 18-wheeler that still packs a punch in terms of performance, but does it in a much cleaner, greener way. Toyota of Clermont has the details you need!
This new Toyota concept truck is a clean solution for the trucking industry
First, let’s talk about hydrogen fuel cell vehicles and why Toyota chose to utilize this type of vehicle in their 18-wheeler Toyota concept. HCVs are about as clean as it gets – while hybrid vehicles still emit some emissions into the air, HCVs are zero emissions, putting out only water vapor. That’s because they run off of hydrogen gas, which is chemically transformed into clean electric energy to power the vehicle. In fact, the “emissions” can even be collected and reused. They’re clean, green, and super efficient. If you’re interested in putting this type of eco-friendly vehicle in your garage, we suggest you check out the new Toyota Mirai!
Now let’s talk about this Toyota concept. Here are some of the details:
- It’s an 18-wheeler – specifically, a full-sized heavy duty Series 8 tractor trailer
- It runs entirely on hydrogen fuel cells, so it’s 100% zero emissions
- It’s powered from two fuel stacks that actually are used in the Toyota Mirai, as well as a 12 killowatt-hour battery pack
- The Toyota concept truck weighs around 80,000 pounds
- The code name for the truck is “Project Portal” and it’s been developed by a secret team at a Michigan facility
- It has a single heavy-duty electric motor that churns out 670+ horsepower and 1,327 lb-ft of torque
- This new Toyota concept is set to go into testing in California this year to see how it performs and whether it should be integrated more heavily into the trucking industry
Pretty cool, huh? And the best part yet – Toyota had this hydrogen-powered truck compete in a drag race with a traditional diesel-powered truck… and the hydrogen-powered truck WON. Not only that, operating these vehicles will be more affordable – they just have to be juiced up at a hydrogen station, a process that doesn’t take long at all.
Do your part going green at Toyota of Clermont
Are you ready to get your hands on a drive time solution that’s a little bit more eco-friendly? We can help – we don’t have the Toyota Mirai in stock here at Toyota of Clermont just yet, but it should be on its way soon. However, we do have a wide selection of hybrid cars! While they’re not zero emissions like a hydrogen cell vehicle, they are more eco-friendly than a traditional gasoline car. Explore all of our Clermont hybrid cars today!
Ready to go green? Come check out our selection at 16851 State Road 50. We’re in between the Florida Turnpike and US Highway 27, and we’re open seven days a week until 10pm!