Something that you typically might not associate with each other is the auto industry and the Olympics. However, that might change with the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. In addition to the hopes of bring self-driving vehicles to the forefront to bus athletes in the athletic village and other venues, they plan to take auto tech one step further. Toyota wants to create a flying car. Toyota of Clermont is here with details about the project.
A flying car in the Olympics?
While it may seem a little like something out of a science fiction movie, Toyota is hoping it becomes reality. The idea is to get it ready by the 2020 Tokyo Olympics so that the flying car can be used for the flame lighting ceremony. Here’s some background information about the project:
- Skydrive – Skydrive is the official name of the project and vehicle model. A Sydrive test flight is supposedly slated for 2018. This flying car will be able to hover less than three feet off the ground and will use technology commonly found in drones. This includes the use of four rotor blades.
- Cartivator – The idea of Skydrive was created by a group of 30 designers and Tsubasa Nakamura who call themselves Cartivator. They first gained attention after winning a competition with their initial design of a flying car. In addition to Toyota, Cartivator has sought out support from other companies in the Tokyo area such as GungHo Online Entertainment.
- Toyota’s involvement – Toyota, Japan’s biggest carmaker, have decided to support the project. Along with its group of companies, Toyota has agreed to support Cartivator’s Skydrive project with around $370,000. Toyota believes in the path to progress, and Chairman Takeshi Uchiyamada decided “things will not progress if you wait and provide money only when the technology is ready.”
Toyota tech advancements representative of Tokyo
You may be thinking that you’ll never be one to take to the skies or even visit Tokyo to see the flying car in person. Have no fear! You can be exposed to the high-tech features of a Toyota vehicle right here at Toyota Clermont! Some of our favorite features include:
- Heads-Up Display – Available in the Toyota Prius, the Heads-Up Display projects important information like your speed onto your windshield just above the hood.
- Entune App Suite – With the Entune App Suite, you can utilize technology that includes Pandora Radio, navigation, and more.
- Voice recognition – This allows you to give voice commands to your vehicle, allowing you to keep your hands on the wheel.
- TNGA engines – These new engines being rolled out for several new Toyota models improve fuel efficiency by at least 20%!
Interested in checking out some of the new and high-tech Toyota models that are available right now? Visit Toyota of Clermont at 16851 State Road 50 in between the Florida Turnpike and Highway 27. If you already have a vehicle in mind, call us today at (888)590-6090 to schedule a test drive for whenever is the most convenient for you!