When it rains, it pours…especially when you’re talking about the rainy season in Orlando. Central Florida’s rainstorms and the occasional tropical storms and hurricanes make it more difficult to drive safely. But don’t worry! If you’re nervous about driving in these Orlando storms, Toyota of Clermont has some tips for you to make sure you drive safely.
When driving, you always want to be aware of everything around you. This can be especially said during the rainy months in Orlando. Here are some tips on how to drive safely in the rain:
- Keep both hands on the steering wheel – When you’re driving in the rain, it’s important to make sure to keep both hands on the steering wheel at all time. This way your focus is on the road, and you can take immediate action if needed.
- Follow the speed limit – While you should be following the speed limit no matter what, it’s especially critical that you do when it’s raining. Roads get slick, so if you’re going above the speed limit you might hydroplane or slide into another vehicle. Be aware of what the speed limits are in Orlando!
- Avoid flooded roads – This one may seem obvious, but you definitely don’t want to drive over deep puddles. This is because if water gets into your car’s engine, it could flood it causing it to stall. This could lead to pretty expensive auto repairs!
- Don’t turn on your hazard lights while driving in the rain – We’ve all seen in. People driving down I-4 near Downtown Orlando with their hazard lights on while it’s raining. This is actually illegal to do since hazard lights are meant for vehicles that are stopped or having complications. This could cause confusion and possible collisions!
Drive safely with these auto parts
In addition to preparing yourself with safety tips, you can also prepare your vehicle. Our parts center in Orlando has everything you need to make it easier to drive safely in the rain.
- Windshield wipers – Windshield wipers help provide maximum visibility when it’s raining. They tend to wear out after six to eight months, and in the sun they can dry up. That’s why it’s important to replace your windshield wipers before you get caught with useless ones in a downpour.
- Tires – It’s important to check how the tread on your Central Florida tires are being worn down. If your tires are “bald”, they create less friction with the road, leading to less grip and the possibility of your car sliding or losing control…especially in the rain! Make sure you get your tires inspected and replaced if needed as soon as you can so that you can continue to drive safely.
Want to get your Orlando vehicle prepared to take on the rainy season? Call Toyota of Clermont today at (866) 454-1614 to schedule a service appointment! Remember to drive safely!