While winter winds down, the thoughts of spring begin to trickle in. What’s the best part about this upcoming season? Spring break, of course! If you’re already planning your week-long vacation for spring break, Toyota of Clermont wants to help make sure that you’re properly prepared! For spring break road trips, it’s important that you drive a car that’s reliable and all caught up on routine car maintenance. In addition to packing, booking hotels, and planning activities, Toyota of Clermont encourages you to perform an overall safety inspection of your car before hitting the road!
DIY Safety Inspection Tips
Before you load up the car with your little ones or your closest friends, make sure your ride is ready for the road. If you’re not sure where to start to make sure your Orlando used car is safe enough for a road trip, Toyota of Clermont has tips for a DIY safety inspection.
- Check the tires. While driving, your car tires are the only parts of the car that stay in contact with the ground – so you want to make sure they’re in good shape. Use a tire pressure gauge to ensure that you have enough air in your tires (make sure to check the owner’s manual of your used car for the proper psi). After checking the tire pressure, test the tread of your car tires. To test if they are safe enough, place a penny upside down in different parts of the tread. If you can still see the top of Abraham Lincoln’s head, your tread has been too worn down! If your tread is too low, you should have your car tires replaced before your trip.
- Test and examine the car battery. Pop the hood of your Orlando used car and take a look at the battery! Use a multimeter to test the voltage of your car battery. You don’t want to be stuck on the side of the road because of a dead battery! If your battery has rust or corrosion built up, use a baking soda and water solution to remove the build-up and clean the terminals.
- Take a look at the brake pads. Look through a small opening in the wheel to check the thickness of the brake pads. If they are less than 1/4 inch thick, they need to be replaced.
Prep your Orlando used car for a trip
If you’re traveling with the kiddos this spring break, you also want to make sure your car is kid-friendly! Before strapping your kids in for a road trip, get your Orlando used car ready with:
- The proper child car seats. Install the correct type of child car seat in your Orlando used car before taking kids anywhere.
- Snacks, drinks, and napkins. After hours on the road, those little ones are sure to get hungry! Make sure to pack some snacks for them to fill them tummies!
- Games and entertainment. Keep those “are we there yet’s” away with books, coloring books, handheld games, and other fun activities.
Don’t take a trip without making sure your Orlando used car is ready! For more tips on how to prep for a road trip, stop by Toyota of Clermont at 16851 State Road 50!