It’s finally here! This weekend is a time to spend time with loved ones and spreading joy all around. While you’re on the road this weekend, there will more than likely be a lot of traffic, especially on the highways.
Toyota of Clermont wants to make sure you’re prepared for busy traffic patterns for the rest of the holiday season. That’s why we’ve put together some safe driving tips that will be helpful to know.
How to achieve safe driving this holiday season
Tip #1 – Look out for holiday traffic
During the holiday season, you’ll more than likely experience some heavy traffic, especially on the highways. Don’t let it stress you out! Easily prepare for dealing with traffic by doing the following:
- Check traffic maps ahead of time through apps like Google Maps.
- Leave early to give yourself a buffer of time.
- Utilize tools like Toyota navigation systems to find an alternate route if traffic gets too bad.
Tip #2 – Don’t succumb to distracted driving
Distracted driving is a huge factor in auto accidents! Make sure you’re not putting yourself at risk of an accident because you just HAD to check that text message. Some ways to avoid distracted driving include:
- Don’t text and drive! Put the phone away.
- Keep both hands on the steering wheel.
- Turn off the radio if it’s too distracting.
- Keep your eyes on the road at all times.
Tip #3- Know your defensive driving techniques
Everyone says to be a defensive driver when you’re first learning how to drive. Our team agrees! It’s important to be able to adapt to situations that you may not have thought would happen when you got on the road this morning. Some Clermont defensive driving tips include:
- Keep your distance from other cars, allowing room for necessary action.
- Drive carefully – don’t rush to get somewhere.
- Stay alert while you drive. Get plenty of rest beforehand if you’re making a long trip.
Tip #4- Watch out for drunk drivers
The holidays are a time for celebration. Sometimes, people celebrate too hard and think it’s ok to get behind the wheel. If you notice someone is swerving in odd patterns or just not driving normally on the road, be sure to try and keep your distance. And if you’re intoxicated, DO NOT get behind the steering wheel. Either stay over, find a friend, or use a ride-share service.
These safe driving tips should help you have a safe ride this holiday season. No matter where you’re headed, be sure to follow them and be completely aware of your surroundings on the road.
Stay safe this holiday season in Clermont
Thanks to the help of the safe driving tips listed above, you can have a safe and relatively stress-free drive this season. If you want more tips on how to drive safely, you can visit the Toyota of Clermont website or give us a call at (352) 404-7000.
Our team at Toyota of Clermont wishes you a safe and wonderful holiday season!