New Year’s Eve is just two days away! Some of us will be counting down the time with our loved ones, at some parties in Clermont, or even sleep through it! Whatever you decide to do, you must remember to stay vigilant and aware when you’re on the road. One of the things you need to know how to do is be able to spot drunk driving.
When a person gets behind the wheel while under the influence, the results can lead to devastating results. That’s why Toyota of Clermont is here to give you safe driving tips on what to do when you see someone that is drunk driving, and how to spot it.
How to spot drunk driving
When you’re on the road this weekend, it’s important to know the warning signs of someone who is drunk driving. Here are some of the things you should be looking for:
- Swerving or drifting in and out of lanes with no purpose
- Excessive reactions like hard braking, hard acceleration, or sudden sharp turns
- Not using their headlights or turn signals at night
- Delayed reactions at stop signs and stoplights
- Almost hitting objects on the road or on the side of it
- Tailgating cars or driving aggressively
- Driving more than 10mph under the speed limit
- Driving on the wrong side of the road or driving along the center of the lines
If you’re able to identify drunk drivers, you’ll be able to report the driver to local authorities. This could end up saving someone’s life!
Knowing how to spot a drunk driver in Clermont and knowing how to react to them are two completely different things. Here are some tips on what to do when you are in the same area as a drunk driver:
- Don’t approach the driver or them tell them to pull over. This could lead to an accident. So make sure to steer your car away from them.
- Pay attention to specific details about the driver and their car. What’s the make and model? Is it old or new? What’s the color? Also, try to jot down notes about specific bumper stickers and a license plate.
- Once you have your notes, call 911 to alert the proper authorities. They’ll take down the information you have. Make sure you tell the dispatcher and officer exactly where you are and which way the vehicle was heading.
And remember, if you suspect that someone is driving under the influence, be sure to use your defensive driving skills to stay safe!
If you wish to prevent drunk driving, please remember to never drink and drive. If you plan on drinking to ring in the New Year, be sure to find a designated driver or use a cab or rideshare service to get home. It is never okay to get behind the wheel when you’re under the influence.
We want to make sure you’re staying safe in 2018! Be sure to find a safe new Toyota at Toyota of Clermont equipped with safety features to help keep you protected on the road. Visit us at 16851 State Road 50 in between the Florida Turnpike and Highway 27 to see all the Clermont Toyota safety features our cars can offer.