Whether you’re going trick-or-treating or not, there are going to be people out and about on Halloween night! People walking around at night can pose a major safety risk. If you’re going to be behind the wheel on All Hallows Eve, make sure to take precautionary measures and use safe driving practices! Toyota of Clermont has made a list of the top safe driving tips for the night of Halloween!
Safe driving for non trick-or-treaters
If you’re too old to trick-or-treat or you can’t make it out there this year, it’s still important that you recognize that people will be walking around and trick-or-treating in the area. For safe driving on Halloween, keep in mind these defensive driving tips:
- Avoid residential areas if possible. There is sure to be children and families walking around in neighborhoods. If you don’t have to be there, try to avoid it to reduce risk and traffic flow.
- Slow down. Consider doing less than the posted speed limit -especially if there are children walking around!
- Be vigilant. Kids can be unpredictable and hop into the road at any point. Keep your head on a swivel and pay close attention to any pedestrians near the road.
Are you transporting your ghosts, monsters, and princesses to different houses for tricks and treats? If you’re going to be driving your kids around while trick-or-treating, you want to be EXTRA careful on the roads. When you’re driving for your tricks and treats, remember:
- Use your headlights. Make sure you’re able to see anything and everything on the road. If it’s raining, don’t forget to use your windshield wipers.
- Do not block crosswalks. If you’re stopped and waiting for your children, do not block any crosswalks for pedestrians.
- Pull over safely. Do not stop in the middle of the road while waiting for your ghouls and ninjas. Pull over to the side of the road, ensuring you’re completely out of the way.
- Pull out of driveways safely. Look both ways and check behind you before backing out of any driveways. Don’t forget to make use of the backup camera in your Clermont Toyota!
Drive safe in your Clermont Toyota!
No matter what your plans are on Halloween night, you should NEVER drink and drive. If you have been drinking, do NOT drive. Instead, call a cab or a friend to come pick you up and get you home safely. It dangerous to drive while drunk. This poses a danger to yourself, other drivers, and children and families out trick-or-treating.
When you’re out driving on Halloween, avoid any and all distractions. Distractions are anything that takes your hands off of the wheel, eyes off of the road, or mind off of driving. While driving around on Halloween, whether by yourself or with your kids, you can put everyone at risk by driving while distracted. Keep your phone out of sight and make sure all kids are buckled in!
Have a safe and happy Halloween from everyone at Toyota of Clermont! For more tips and information, give us a call at (888) 590-6090!