Fourth of July is just a few days away – are you making plans for the big holiday weekend? Independence Day celebrations call for cookouts, fireworks, and family fun! However, some Fourth of July celebrations involve alcohol. While this is harmless while you’re having fun with your family, you should NEVER get behind the wheel if you’ve been drinking. This is not only very illegal, but also extremely dangerous. You may realize the severity of drinking and driving, but not all drivers do unfortunately. If you’re out on the road in your Clermont Toyota this holiday weekend, keep your eye out for drunk driving!
How to spot drunk driving
If you’re driving in your Clermont Toyota on the city streets, highway, or interstate, you should look out for drunk driving. By being able to spot a vehicle with a drunk driver, you can protect yourself and other drivers, as well as possibly save that person’s life. If you’re not completely sure how to spot drunk driving, use these tips from Toyota of Clermont. Look out for:
- Swerving and inability to maintain one lane
- Sudden acceleration
- Quick and sudden stops
- Illegal turns
- No headlights at night
- Not abiding by road signs and road rules
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
If you notice one or more of these behaviors, you should immediately put yourself as far away as this person as possible. It’s important that you keep you and your passengers safe. A drunk driver’s moves are unpredictable, so you should be on full alert and focus on keeping yourself safe.
Reporting a drunk driver from your Clermont Toyota
Once you’ve put safe distance between your Clermont Toyota and the drunk driver, you should report this drunk driving to the authorities. It may be nerve-wracking to call the police, but it’s important for everyone’s safety and the police will be extremely helpful. To report drunk driving, you should:
- Jot down as much information about the vehicle and the driver as you can. Describe the vehicle’s make, model, color, and license plate number. If you were able to see traits of the driver, write those down too. Information like gender, approximate age, and height.
- Safely call 9-1-1 to alert the police about this dangerous driver. List all the information you gathered about the vehicle and driver, and inform them of your location and where you saw the drunk driver heading.
It’s important that you do NOT try to get the driver’s attention. Do not flash your lights at them or wave them down from your Clermont Toyota. Taking their attention away from the road could cause an accident. Instead of distracting the driver, stay a safe distance away and report them to the police.
Toyota of Clermont wants to wish a happy Fourth of July and safe travels! Celebrate responsibly and remember to NEVER drink and drive. If you’ve been drinking, call a friend or cab to pick you up and bring you home safe.
For more safe driving tips for holiday travels, visit us at 16851 State Road 50 or call us at (888) 590-6090!