A lot of people are too excited for fall weather and pumpkin spice lattes, and forget about the hazards that come with the season! Because we don’t have a very in-depth autumn experience here in Central Florida, you may not be completely aware of the dangers on the road during fall. However, it’s important that you know for the fall that we do experience here and if you ever travel up north! Taking a road trip up north to see the leaves change and experience cooler temperatures is fun – just make sure you know safe driving tips for fall!
Tips for safe driving during fall
As summer phases out and fall begins to creep in, you notice changes in the temperature and weather conditions. These changes begin to affect the way you dress, spend your time, and how you drive! Our new Toyota dealership wants to make sure you know how to handle fall from behind the wheel!
Look out for leaves
While falling foliage isn’t a big problem here in Central Florida, it’s pretty prevalent everywhere else! If you’re going in search of changing leaves this autumn, keep in mind that wet leaves are slippery! In fact, wet leaves in the road can be just as dangerous as snow or icy roads. When driving your Clermont Toyota on roads covered in colorful leaves, remember to:
- Take turns slowly. Avoid sharp turns on wet leaves, as you could lose control of your vehicle and end up in a collision.
- Avoid sudden braking. Stopping on wet leaves can cause your tires to slide, rather than get traction on the road.
- Maintain your lane. Leaves can cover up lane lines, making it difficult to distinguish where your lane begins and ends. If you’re dealing with roads cluttered with leaves, keep an eye on the edge of the road so you can safely maintain your lane.
Watch the weather
Bad weather is something we’re more than familiar with here! During the fall season, weather conditions like rain, fog and frost come into play! For safe driving in these conditions remember:
- Use your headlights and windshield wipers!
- Leave a safe following distance between your Clermont Toyota and the car in front of you.
- Pull over safely and turn on your hazards if conditions are too bad to drive in.
Prep your Clermont Toyota
In case of any roadside emergencies or unforeseen circumstances, you should always make sure your Clermont Toyota is prepped! Don’t head out for trip or journey without a roadside emergency kit packed with supplies like:
- Tire repair kit
- Spare tire, car jack stand, lug nut wrench
- Fire extinguisher, fire blanket, and first aid kit
- Flashlight and blanket
Don’t forget to make sure your Clermont Toyota is caught up on car maintenance. Tire rotations and windshield wiper replacements can help you tackle tough driving conditions that fall brings. For more safe driving tips or to schedule an auto service appointment, come see us! Toyota of Clermont is located at 16851 State Road 50, between the Florida Turnpike and Highway 27!