Depending on where you live, you may be able to walk or ride your bike to work or school. You may walk your kids to school or the bus stop each morning. No matter why you walk or bike, it’s important that you stay safe while doing it! Being a pedestrian can be risky if you don’t follow pedestrian safety guidelines. At Toyota of Clermont, we want to keep drivers AND pedestrians safe. To help protect you on the sidewalk and on the road, we’re offering pedestrian safety tips!
Pedestrian Safety Tips
Staying safe while being a pedestrian is dependent upon being alert and aware of your surroundings. When walking to work, school, the store, or anywhere, remember to:
- Keep your head up. Don’t allow distractions, like your phone or friends, to put you in danger.
- Stay on the sidewalk. Avoid walking in the road or street. Sidewalks are designated for pedestrians!
- Use the crosswalk. Don’t cross the street unless it’s using a designated crosswalk, where signs or lights indicate when you can cross.
Technically, riding your bicycle is considered being a pedestrian as well. If you’re taking a bicycle to work or school or around town, you have to be extra vigilant. As a bicyclist, keep in mind these safety tips:
- Use the road, rather than the sidewalk. As bicyclist you cannot ride on the sidewalk, but most roadways have a designated bike lane to give you space.
- Wear a helmet. Safety first! Protect your head in case of any collisions, crashes, or falls.
- Abide by road rules. Stop for red lights and only turn where indicated.
If you’re walking or biking at night, it’s important that you make yourself visible to other pedestrians and drivers! Crossing the street, even in a crosswalk, can be dangerous at night if motorists cannot see you. To protect yourself and your family while walking or riding at night, make sure to:
- Wear brightly colored clothing.
- Bring a flashlight.
- Install bike lights.
- Have reflective parts or clothing.
- Walk in well-lit areas.
Safe driving tips for your Clermont Toyota
If getting around on foot is not your style, and you prefer your Clermont Toyota, make sure you know how to drive safely around pedestrians! In busy city areas or around schools, you may see a lot of pedestrians and bicyclists. When you’re behind the wheel of your Clermont Toyota, make sure to keep these safe driving tips in mind:
- Check your surroundings. Look for anyone on the sidewalks or waiting to cross the street.
- Use your headlights. Make sure you can see pedestrians at night and that they can see you!
- Yield to pedestrians. Give pedestrians the right of way if they are crossing the road.
- Do not block crosswalks.
- Allow bicyclists to pass before turning right or left.
Did you know that most new Clermont Toyota vehicles offer a pedestrian detection system? As part of the pre-collision safety system, your new Toyota will be able to sense any pedestrians within range in front of your car. This safety feature alerts the driver and applies the brakes automatically to prevent any collisions.
For more pedestrian safety tips or information on high-tech Clermont Toyota vehicles, visit us! We’re located at 16851 State Road 50, between the Florida Turnpike and Highway 27!